Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Thinking Positive Thoughts

It is amazing how thinking positive thoughts can completely change your mood.  I remember someone telling me once that it's impossible to be sad if you smile.  Today has been a good day of writing, and that is something that always recharges my batteries.  When the words flow out of my mind, and the characters come to life, it is almost magical.  I sometimes don't know where the words come from.  In a moment of inspiration, an understanding of what happens next becomes apparent and it's just a matter of putting it down on the page.

Sometimes you just have to shut off the phones and all of the distractions and just trust yourself to fall into the story.  I recently heard someone on the radio say that when he writes lyrics to songs, sometimes he has to "get out of his own way."  It is so easy to allow yourself to get distracted and find excuses for not doing the work.  I suppose it is just like anything else, exercising, practicing a skill or an art, or learning something new.  You just have to do it.  Put yourself in the right environment, a positive frame of mind, shut-out the neigh-sayers, and just do it.  It is so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your responses help me learn how to make my blog posts more interesting and worthy of your time.